Preparing to go back to work next, I find myself comparing bottle feeding and breastfeeding.
In order to bottle feed her, I had to get:
- Breast pump (supplied by insurance, retails for $300)
- Bottles (went through 4 brands, latex nipples, and 2 kinds of sippy cups)
- Extra pump parts (lost some, burned some, some wore out)
- Bottle warmer to scald milk at work (due to high lipase activity)
- Thermometer to make sure milk got hot enough in bottle warmer
- Insulated lunch box so as to not leave milk lying around in work fridge (seemed gross to leave bodily fluids in sight)
- Sterilized milk storage bags
- Water for bottle warmer and sterilizing kit
- Microwave sterilizing kit
- Hands free pumping bra
- Power converter to be able to pump on long miserable commute
Compared to breastfeeding:
- 2 breasts with milk in them.
I love having the option to go back to work. I do. I wish it was easier.